The Cairo Historical Society is once again opening up the application process for the Town of Cairo Hometown Heroes Banners Program, a living tribute to the servicemen and women from the Town of Cairo who served our country from the French and Indian War to the present day.
Each individual banner will be unique and honor a specific Town of Cairo former or present serviceman or woman and will include their picture, branch of service and military conflict in which they served.
The banners will be 18 inches wide and 36 inches in height and be in full color. They will be displayed for the summer months every year, from mid May until mid October for as long as the banners will last. The banners will be hung in the village of Cairo as well as the hamlets of Acra, Purling, Round Top and South Cairo and along main thoroughfares.
· Serviceman or woman must have been born in the Town of Cairo or have lived in the Town of Cairo
· Serviceman or woman must have served in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard)
Ways to Sponsor a Banner:
· Family members or loved ones may sponsor a banner
· The cost of each banner is $250
· The Cairo Historical Society are the owners of the banners, will maintain custodianship of the banners and ensure they are hung each year
· Businesses may sponsor a banner for a particular Veteran by contacting Sylvia Hasenkopf at 518-821-3852 or email@example.com.
Businesses who sponsor a banner will have their name as a sponsor on the banner.
Click here for a 2019 Trail Guide for Our Hometown Heroes coming soon: