This page is dedicated to giving the Community a list of various projects the town is currently working on and updates on the progress we are making. Keep up to date on all the happenings and improvements around town as we begin to revitalize Cairo. Also stay in touch by following us on Facebook!
Cairo’s Water Infrastructure Project
Part of the $2.4 million dollar funding will be used to:
1) Secure a new additional water source for the Town sites have been selected for drilling
2) Replacement of old clogged and leaking water pipes in Town will be done in the spring of 2019 along with a water main replacement in 2019
3) Installation of almost all water meters with a remote reading capacity to be complete as of March 2019
4) Replace the current water tank — engineering is done and water tank replacement will be in 2019
1) The Town currently has secured grant money of $75,000 to be used towards the new sidewalks for Cairo:
2) Town has also been awarded additional funding through DOT for $551,000 in grant funds for the Sidewalk Project
3) The sidewalk will run from the Elementary School down to Hannaford
4) Construction work is scheduled to start Spring of 2019
New Ambulance Building
The Town has secured a building on Railroad Avenue to serve as the new ambulance building- Architectural drawings are being updated as of the end of December 2018. Work to begin Spring of 2019
New Sign Installation
The Town’s new electronic and digital sign is installed and is up and running. The stone base to be completed Spring of 2019.
Senior Center Recreation Area
The Town Park will be adding a senior recreational area in the Cairo Town Park in 2019
1) Tentatively scheduled to be added are shuffle board, horseshoes and bocce ball.
2) Work will continued to be done on the Senior Area of the park weather permitting.
The new soccer field located on Mountain Avenue has been completed and ready for use in the fall of 2019.
Mountain Avenue View Shed
Started by the Mountain Avenue Project group members this project is geared to open up the view of the Catskill Mountains on Mountain Avenue
The project began in late 2016 and expects to be complete by 2019 at the latest. This is a scenic pull off with a kiosk and bench for viewing the mountain range.
Street Light Change Over
Work continues on the street lights, when they burn out they are being replaced by more cost effect lighting.
The newly completed zoning laws have been voted on and approved by the Town and the Town Board. They are posted on the town’s website.
Tax Assessment Grace Period
The town is looking pass a local law that would give property owners a specific grace period on the assessment
of their property when they have made improvements to their property. This will be done in 2019.
Solar Farm Viability
The Town continues to look at the zoning for solar farms on Town property to reduce the energy source and provide a source of revenue without compromising the areas the farms are to be located in. The Town is currently seeking a solar company to rent space at the old Town of Cairo dump site.
Reviewing an aggregation program reducing electric bills to residents by supplying an alternative electric supply source.
Modernizing the Highway Vehicle Fleet
In 2017 the Town Board began reviewing ways to help modernize the town’s highway departments vehicle fleet. This is an ongoing project.
Dog Park Upgrades
The new dog park is up and running! There is now a big dog park and a little dog park both with double gates for security. There are new dog park rule signs at each fenced area. These are there to ensure everyone has a fun and safe time at the park. Be on the look out for new additions in 2019
The Town Board continues to review and improve standards, policies, & laws for the town while maintaining a fiscally responsibility
to the Town residents.
Building and Code Enforcement
The building and code department has been actively enforcing the town’s building and code laws and will be even more visible in 2019 and 2020.
We are supporting our local organizations: Cairo Development Foundation, Cairo Historical Society, Greene County Chamber of Commerce, Cairo Durham Little League, American Legion, Boy Scouts Troop 43, Greene County Department of the Aging, Greene County Pop Warner, The Rip Van Winkle Soccer Club/Northern Catskill Youth Association, Columbia Greene Community College, Cairo-Durham School District