Cairo’s Water Infrastructure Project
Part of the $2.4 million dollar funding will be used to:
1) Secure a new water source for the Town
2) Replace the older and less efficient water pipes in Town
3) Replace any and all meters that are broken or not working
4) Upgrade the current water tank
The Town currently has secured grant money of $75,000 to be used towards the new sidewalks for Cairo
1) The Town has applied for another grant through DOT for additional funding
2) The sidewalk will run from the Elementary School down to Hannaford
Street Light Change Over
Work has begun on the street lights, when they burn out they are being replaced by more cost effect lighting.
Tax Assessment Grace Period
The town is looking pass a local law that would give property owners a specific grace period on the assessment
of their property when they have made improvements to their property. This will be done in early 2017.
Solar Farm Viability
The Town is considering allowing a solar farm on Town property to reduce the energy source and provide a source of revenue.
Reviewing an aggregation program reducing electric bills to residents by supplying an alternative electric supply source.
The Town Board will be establishing a dedicated building repair fund.
Substantial costs savings with changing the insurance plans for the Highway Department
The Town Board continues to review and improve standards, policies, & laws for the town while maintaining a fiscally responsibility
to the Town residents
Building and Code Enforcement
The building and code department has been actively enforcing the town’s building and code laws
In 2020 the Cairo Historical Society is once again opening up the application process for the Town of Cairo Hometown Heroes Banners Program, a living tribute to the servicemen and women from the Town of Cairo who served our country from the French and Indian War to the present day. Information and payment due by March 6, 2020.
Each individual banner will be unique and honor a specific Town of Cairo former or present serviceman or woman and will include their picture, branch of service and military conflict in which they served.
The banners will be 18 inches wide and 36 inches in height and be in full color. They will be displayed for the summer months every year, from mid May until mid October for as long as the banners will last. The banners will be hung in the village of Cairo as well as the hamlets of Acra, Purling, Round Top and South Cairo and along main thoroughfares.
· Serviceman or woman must have been born in the Town of Cairo or have lived in the Town of Cairo
· Serviceman or woman must have served in the United States Armed Forces (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines or Coast Guard)
Ways to Sponsor a Banner:
· Family members or loved ones may sponsor a banner
· The cost of each banner is $250
· The Cairo Historical Society are the owners of the banners, will maintain custodianship of the banners and ensure they are hung each year
· Businesses may sponsor a banner for a particular Veteran by contacting Sylvia Hasenkopf at 518-821-3852 or email@example.com.
Businesses who sponsor a banner will have their name as a sponsor on the banner.
The Town of Cairo has made the Pledge to be a Climate Smart Community and engage the Climate Smart Strategy for alternative, green energy sources. For more information on Climate Smart Communities go to their website: CDRPC
The United Way of Columbia & Greene Counties provides resources and agencies through United Way 2-1-1 Northeast Region. Just dial 211 on your phone and you will be connected or go to: 211NENY for more information and to get connected.
Go to the Town Departments tab, click Park & Recreation link – in the Additional Links is the Summer Recreation Packet 2015 link – Click the link and a .pdf packet will appear. Use this packet information to register your child for this summer’s activity in our Town Park.
Please visit the Tax Collector’s web page for the latest tax information.
You now have the capability to pay your taxes online. We have also made a available an important tax research tool. In addition to viewing your current Town taxes online, we have provided a link for your convenience to view your school taxes online. Please take advantage of these convenient tools.
Remember if you have questions concerning you taxes, please feel free to call the Tax Collector’s Office at 518-622-9218.